Your wisdom teeth, those third molars located at the very back of the mouth, might not need removal if they:
- Have erupted completely or grown in fully
- Are healthy
- Are properly positioned and biting correctly with the opposing teeth
- Can be cleaned as easily as your other teeth
However, it can sometimes be hard to tell whether they need to be removed or not. A consultation with your dentist here at Sofia Dental of Fredericksburg in Fredericksburg, VA, Dr. Mustafa Alkhandak, will help you determine if you need to have them removed.
When Wisdom Teeth Cause Problems
Unfortunately, there are instances where wisdom teeth do not have sufficient space to grow correctly, and this could lead to a number of issues. They could grow at different angles in your jaw, even horizontally. Other possible issues can include:
- Wisdom teeth that stay hidden completely within the gums. When this happens, they will become impacted or trapped within the jaw. This could cause an infection or the formation of a cyst that could damage your bone and tooth roots.
- Wisdom teeth that don’t erupt fully through your gums. Since this portion is difficult to clean, the teeth here could create a way for bacteria to flourish and eventually cause an oral infection or gum disease.
- Wisdom teeth that crowd adjacent teeth. When wisdom teeth lack the space to grow in properly, they might damage or crowd your neighboring teeth.
Should You Have Your Wisdom Teeth Removed?
The American Dental Association recommends that wisdom teeth be removed if you are experiencing:
- Severe pain
- Cysts or fluid-filled sacs
- Repeated infection in the soft tissue
- Gum disease
- Damage to surrounding teeth
- Extensive decay
Dentists may also recommend wisdom teeth removal if they fail to emerge fully. Plenty of dentists likewise believe that removal should take place when a person is younger, prior to when the bone and roots are completely developed, and when healing is generally quicker following surgery. This is the reason why some younger people choose to have their wisdom teeth extracted before they can cause any problems.
For Concerns or More Information on Wisdom Teeth, Call Us
Dial (540) 681-1511 to set up an appointment with your dentist, Dr. Mustafa Alkhandak, here at Sofia Dental of Fredericksburg in Fredericksburg, VA.